Landscape and Memory
As I was reading this piece by Simon Schama I was sitting on my grandma's back porch overlooking the "Smoky Mountains" in North Carolina. I thought it was amazing how closely his mountain image reflected the picturesque scenery I was staring at. Never before have I ever felt so connected to a character. I must admit, even when I picked up the paper and leafed through it I thought, " This may take awhile to get through." However, I really enjoyed how easy it was to understand. I did not feel like there were too many hidden meanings, but I do believe he used his words wisely.
One of my favorite parts of Schama's piece is when he says, " For although we are accustomed to seperate nature and human perception into two realms, they are, in fact, indivisible". I especially liked this sentence because it points out the obvious, but in a whole new way. In all this piece was a very good reminder that instead of putting ourselves above nature, we need to look at ourselves in relation to nature.
One of my favorite parts of Schama's piece is when he says, " For although we are accustomed to seperate nature and human perception into two realms, they are, in fact, indivisible". I especially liked this sentence because it points out the obvious, but in a whole new way. In all this piece was a very good reminder that instead of putting ourselves above nature, we need to look at ourselves in relation to nature.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home